One of the primary functions of RainHand Books is to help promote the work of new, self-published, and/or independent authors. If you've written a work of original fiction and are interested in having it reviewed by RainHand, this page explains the relatively simple application process. Let me start by saying thank you for choosing RainHand! I hope we can enter into a successful partnership to promote your work.
To submit a work to RainHand, you can contact me via any of the social media link buttons on the left sidebar of this page. Conversely, you can send an email to RainHand Books. Please include the following in your message:
- Your contact information.
- A brief synopsis of your work. (This need not be excessively complicated. Just give me some idea what kind of story I'm going to be reading. Something like 'an adventure story featuring a down-on-her-luck girl who gets swept up in a web of intrigue in a cyberpunk city of the future' will do.)
- A little bit about yourself. (You don't have to say much - if you want to keep it just to your previous writing credits, that's fine. But the more you share with me, the more I can share about you for your review. I would like a link to your author 'presence' online if you have one, in otherwords, where others would go to purchase or write their own product reviews of your book. Goodreads, Amazon, and so forth for example.)
- A copy of your work. (Because I need to be able to read it, of course! .epub is my preferred format, but I can work with you on pdf, mobi, and so forth. You don't have to include this in your initial communication if you're just testing my interest. We can work it out later.)
Please note the following when submitting a work for me to review:
- I do this all for free. What do I get out of it? Well, content for my blog for one. Also, I get neat stuff to read! You get a book review, which for the purposes of your exposure I will post at RainHandBooks.com/net, as well as RainHand's Facebook page, Twitter, and my personal Goodreads account. You also get a Twitter follow from me, and (if you have them) a facebook page like and a Goodreads follow. I do all of these things by default, so if for some reason you do not want me to post your review in one or more of the aforementioned places, or do not want a follow, like, or tweet from me, you'll need to let me know that ahead of time.
- I will, at all times, provide an honest review, and I do not accept any incentive to do otherwise. That said, on a one to five star rating scale, I very rarely hand out a single star - earning that would take a book that hasn't had basic editing done (I am a reviewer of works ready for publication, not an editor), is libelous/a manifesto, or is just a straight-up trainwreck mess of a story. Two stars typically go to a work that has promise but in need of some help, while a decently-presented tale is likely to earn at least three. A good book gets a four. Wow me, and you get a five. These are general guidelines, and of course will vary from work to work.
- I review books as a labor of love in my available free time. That said, please give me some time to read your book and compose a decent review for it. I ask for a minimum of two weeks for a full-length novel - possibly longer depending on how long the book is. Sometimes life gets in the way, so if you haven't heard from me in that time, please feel free to drop me a pleasant reminder.
- At this point in time, I accept only works of original fiction from adult authors. I'll accept just about any genre - I'll even read erotica, but if you have a particularly explicit or fetishy story for me to read, let's talk about it some before sending it on over. As you might expect, I reserve the right to refuse to do a review for any reason, including refusal because I simply have too huge of a backlog.